French Studies, Homework

Reading Homework

Your child will come home with their reading homework in the next few weeks! I appreciate your continued patience as I roll out this program. Each child will receive specific individualized homework tasks to help them improve their reading skills.
Your child will receive a navy “Lecture” duo tang which will live in their note-totes in order for me to be able to keep track of their reading progress. Your child will have all the necessary tools, in this duo-tang, to complete their reading assignment. I will assign one of the following tasks:
1.  Syllables: I am finding that many second-graders have difficulties pronouncing their vowels in French. The vowels sound very different than they do in English and it is very important that they be pronounced properly as a mispronunciation can completely change the meaning of a word, or simply make it extremely difficult to understand. As a result, many students who were previously reading are going back to basics in hope that this will improve their pronunciation.
The vowel sounds are in the “Classe virtuelle” tab on the blog. In the virtual classroom, on the second page, you will find the vowels and an audio recording of me pronouncing them.
In their duo-tang, you will find a page of syllables (ba, fa, lo, mi, tu, etc.) set a timer for 1 minute to see how many syllables can be read (correctly) in that minute. You can use a post-it and move it each time they are able to make it further down the page. This activity can be done on a daily basis. Please let me know when your child can make it through the entire 2 pages (without mistakes) in one minute.
2. Reading on “Je lis littératie”: Taped to the inside of the duo-tang, you will find a card with your child’s login information for Je lis littératie. They will have been assigned a level/colour and will need to read one book per week (or more if desired). I ask that parents put in the necessary information and difficulty level of each book so I can adjust their homework accordingly. Your child should be able to summarize the story and answer questions to demonstrate understanding. Please let me know if you feel this activity is taking too long for your child or if you have any questions or concerns!