Dear Grade 2 Parents,
We are excited to launch student blogfolios this year in March. Please read the information below and sign the permission form at the bottom of this letter and send it back in their note tote before February 10, 2023.
The Why of Student Blogfolios
A blogfolio allows students and teachers (“the learners”) to collect and demonstrate over time their goals, process, and growth towards these goals and other objectives. The ownership rests with the learner to present evidence of steps towards and accomplishments of their goals. (Langwitches.org) If we look towards our North Stars it sets the stage for students to own their learning. Sharing these blogfolios also encourages their classmates to celebrate successes and share new strategies moving forward (we are responsible for each other). These Blogfolios allow both the student and teacher to keep track of their progress, successes, and learning over time (throughout their academic career) in an organized way. Blogfolios capture the whole child in a way that standardized tests and summative tests cannot.
The What and Where of Student Blogfolios:
A blogfolio is a digital portfolio built on a blogging platform such as WordPress. The platform used by the OJCS for blogging is Edublogs. In their portfolios, the students will choose artifacts (work samples that provide evidence of learning, experiences, or goals). These artifacts can include text, video, audio, and images. Students can express themselves according to their strengths or learning styles. They will have many opportunities to reflect on their learning journeys and will independently (or with support when necessary) choose the next steps (future goals).
The Who (will have access to) of Student Blogfolios
As a soft launch into student blogfolios, all students will each be given their blogs. We will begin adding artifacts to our blogs based on what we are doing in class. There are a few things you should know:
- Blogfolio URLs (addresses) will follow the formula: firstnamelastinitialojcs.edublogs.org (ex: ann-lynnrojcs.edublogs.org);
- All posts and comments will have to be approved by Morah Ann-Lynn, Morah Sigal, Morah Corinne, or Madame Effie before they get published;
- Students (with the consent of their parents) may choose to post pictures and videos of themselves and their work online;
- Personal information (address, last name, birthday, etc.) WILL NEVER be posted on the blogfolio;
- Students will be encouraged to comment on each other’s posts;
- Parents who choose to comment are asked to use their first name only, so as not to identify personal information about the child.
Understanding that this may feel new and uncomfortable to some of you and our students, there are a few privacy settings to choose from:
- Public Blogfolio – The URL will include the student’s first name and last initial. It will be public, meaning anyone would have access to seeing the content and comments (for example, our class blog is public.) This adds tremendous value to the work students are doing, in that their audience is greater than their teacher and peers, and they’ll see that others care to read what they say. For example, connecting directly with scientists, subject matter experts, authors, other students from around the world, etc.;
- Public Avatar Blogfolio– The URL is made up of an alias and students do not post their real name, picture, or video on their Blogfolio. However, the site is still public and anyone will be able to access the content and comment.
- Password Protected Blogfolio – The URL will include the student’s first name and last initial. Anyone who tries to access the blogfolio will be required to enter a password. Students and parents would control who knows the password.
- Private Blogfolio– The URL will include the student’s first name and last initial. Only people with an edublog account (parents would need to create one to have access) who have been granted permission to the blog will be able to view the content.
The When of Student Blogfolios
These blogfolios will not be posted until March, just in time for our next set of interviews.
Please ensure you have carefully read through all the information above. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me. Please complete and return the attached permission form.
The Grade 2 Team
Grade 2 OJCS Blogfolios
I ______________________________, give permission for
_____________________________, to participate in the Grade 2 Blogfolio Program.
I give permission for the following blogfolio setting (please select one)
- Public Blogfolio
- Public Avatar Blogfolio. I would like my child’s avatar name to be:
- Password Protected Blogfolio o Private Blogfolio
Parent/Guardian Name: _____________________________________________________